Although menopause is a perfectly natural phenomenon that happens to every woman, it is known for causing troublesome symptoms that can really impact the lifestyle of any woman going through this transition. From hot flashes to insomnia, symptoms of menopause run the gamut and can be truly difficult to live with. Hope is not lost, however, as the practice of acupuncture has been known to help reduce and eliminate many menopause symptoms. Here are some ways in which acupuncture can help you manage your menopause symptoms:
• Reducing hot flashes. Hot flashes are some of the most notorious symptoms caused by menopause. They give people the feeling of a sudden surge of heat throughout the body and can cause significant sweating, shivers, and red, blotchy skin. They can even cause queasiness and an upset stomach. Although there are hormone replacement therapies that can help with hot flashes, they also come with other health risks such as an increased risk of heart disease, cancer, and stroke. Acupuncture, which is an all-natural treatment and is known for reducing inflammation, has been shown in studies to help prevent and reduce the occurrences of hot flashes.
• Promoting weight loss. With menopause brings hormonal changes, and with hormonal changes brings body weight fluctuations. Many women struggle with unwanted weight gain during menopause, but studies have found acupuncture, often in tandem with TCM herbal supplementation, can be an effective treatment for nagging weight gain.
• Treating mood swings and managing depression. While hormones are in flux during menopause, depression and mood swings can become a huge problem. Acupuncture can help lower stress and increase blood flow, and increase the production of endorphins which are the body’s natural pain killers. Menopausal women often find that their energy level drops and acupuncture can give them a natural energy boost as well as a mood lift.
• Reducing sleep disturbances. Another truly disruptive symptom of menopause is insomnia. Many women report waking up frequently during the night or having difficulty falling asleep. Following acupuncture treatment, many people feel extremely relaxed and get better sleep. Studies have shown that acupuncture increases the production of melatonin, giving recipients more total sleep time and less sleep interruption at night.
• Reducing vaginal dryness and increasing libido. Some women report that vaginal dryness and loss of sexual desire are big issues that come with menopause. Some studies have shown that acupuncture can help reduce the occurrence of these symptoms.
It’s important to remember that symptoms of menopause will vary from person to person and as with any treatment plan, recommendations will differ. Meeting with a qualified practitioner of TCM will ensure that you get a recommended course of treatment that will be right for you. To maximize the effective of acupuncture treatments, your practitioner may also choose to supplement your treatment plan with dietary recommendations and herbal remedies. To learn more about how Chinese medicine and acupuncture can help you manage your symptoms of menopause, call 832.282.3306 or email us today.